UCAS was founded in 1990 and incorporated in 1991 in Regina, Saskatchewan Canada.
The UCAS Vision
“To establish and leave a legacy of the Uganda Canadian heritage, and by active and equitable integration, contribute to the development of Saskatchewan.”
Objectives of the organization include:
- to promote better acquaintance, understanding and co-operation among Ugandan-Canadians and friends residing in Saskatchewan;
- to preserve, promote, and develop the culture of Ugandan-Canadians in Saskatchewan thereby contributing to the multicultural society of Canada;
- to assist new immigrants and support their adjustment and participation in the Saskatchewan community in particular, and in Canada in general;
- to advocate to equality, equity and integration in society, and for the welfare of Ugandan-Canadians in Saskatchewan; and
- to work towards the elimination of racism and discrimination within (the Ugandan-Canadian community and) the community at large.
Over the years, UCAS has undertaken a number of innovative projects including the following:
2008-2010: Initiated and implemented the “Skilled Worker Immigrant Project” in collaboration with the Ghanaian Canadian Association of Saskatchewan.
2005-2007: Hosted and played a key role in the management of the Uganda Canadian National Association (UCNA) 3 year project titled: Building Capacities Towards Equity Participation and Integration that was implemented in 7 provinces.
Sponsored the first Uganda-Canadian National Conference on the theme: Ensuring our Integration in Canadian Society: 2000 and Beyond.
Organized the first Uganda-Canadian conference in Western Canada in 1991.
Plus a host of community based activities in Saskatchewan including summer camps; heritage language schools engaging youth in leadership, public speaking and other activities.
UCAS Operations Policy
UCAS has a number of “Project Committees that are working to achieve positive impacts on Saskatchewan for people from Uganda – and these committee efforts often lead to new events. If you are interested in contacting one of these committees, you can reach UCAS through the “Contact Us” link.
To view the current committees in operation on behalf of UCAS today, Click Here to View the Project Committees.